Monday, October 21, 2013

What Makes a Good Teacher--After Reading

     After reading Marie F. Hassett's What Makes a Good Teacher, I still have the same basic ideas about what I think makes a good teacher--but Hassett  clearly illustrated a point that, while in my mind, I hadn't really fleshed out until after reading her publication. That idea is one of flexibility. Much as I discussed in my previous post, a teacher must be able to adjust and change in order to reach all kinds of students. Hassette more clearly outlined this with her understanding of how a teacher must be flexible to reach a student. Having such a broad range of students over her career, she was able to clearly comprehend the fluid nature of the needs and minds of any given class, and as a result, the required fluidity of teaching methods. Acknowledging this as a requirement for any method, class or group is an important aspect of being a good teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment